Sunday, June 7, 2009

Review: Hana Mini Ceramic Flat Iron

So, I had a busy weekend but I really wanted to squeeze this in so I used it & took some before & after pics yesterday morning. I am getting closer & closer to getting over my camera shyness & showing my face ... maybe running a blog it's inevitable LOL. I considered doing this review without pics, but decided that just wasn't my style.

First things, first, I'd like to thank Lisa Cocuzza of It's a Glam Thing & Hana for the opportunity to give this little flat iron a try.


I have to say, it's hands down the coolest thing I've received to review so far. And I do think it's a good product, althugh not without it's flaws. Let's get to the details.

Hana's Website has this to say regarding the mini:

"Mini Luxury... A Compact Styler that Extends for Easy Use.

The Hana Mini features a revolutionary design - only 5 inches long for easy travel and on-the-go styling, it expands to a full 8 inches, the size of
a standard iron, so that styling your hair is just as easy with the mini as it is with a full-sized iron. Available in pink and blue editions.

The HANA Mini flat iron features Advanced Fusion Molding for reinforced tourmaline ceramic plates that are glass-smooth & durable. Tourmaline, a precious mineral, generates intense negative ions conditioning damaged hair follicles for healthy, frizz-free shine that lasts."

And also on the options page:

"A revolution in Mini. This tiny 5" long flat iron fits in the palm of your hand so it fits easily in your purse. But when it's time to use it, the tourmaline ceramic plates extend to a standard 8 inches long for easy styling.
HANA MINI Features:
  • Advanced Tourmaline Ceramic Plates for Accelerated Ion Generation and Maximum Frizz-Free, Conditioning Shine
  • Compact at 5" Long for Storage
  • Expands to 8" Long for Styling
  • 5/8" Plates are Ideal for Short Hair, Details and Touch-Ups On the Go for Any Hair Length
  • Fixed Temperature at 410° F
  • Flash Heats in Seconds with Instant Compensation
  • Tangle-Free Salon Quality Cord Swivels 360°; Convenient Hanging Loop
  • Energy Efficient; On/Off Switch
  • Includes Stylish Silver Storage Pouch with Fold-Out Heat Proof Mat & Special Edition Tin Case
  • One Year Warranty"

Now, since I was trying very intentionally for a no-face shot of my hair, here are before & after pics of the side of my head =) My hair is not very curly or anything, so unfortunately these aren't very dramatic, but I used the Hana Mini to smooth everything out & bump the ends under a little:

Overall, I liked this product, and here are the pros:

  • Small, compact design that expands to normal flat-iron length
  • Convenient carrying case with heat-resistant mat
  • Flat iron heats up very quickly - I didn't time it but I want to say within about 60 seconds
  • It also cooled down quickly - after about 5 mins it was still slightly warm, but cool enough to touch & to retract the plates.

Unfortuantly, it's not without it's cons:

  • Even though the overall size at expansion is like a normal flat iron, the actual size of the plates is still slightly smaller
  • Because the plates extend out past the body of the iron, they're not insulated & the backside gets pretty hot. Not as hot as the plate by any means, but if you are used to using both hands, you need to be careful where you place your fingers.
  • It has a set tempurature of 410 degrees which is a little hotter than I normally use. Of course this may be perfect tempurature for another person, or not hot enough for someone else.

The price of the Hana Mini Ceramic Flat Iron is listed for $80.00 at Missiko (the retailer that Hana's website directs you to) but it's currently on sale for $74.00 & free shipping.

I hope you guys enjoyed this review! I'll be posting on the Hair Serum that was also included soon. Thanks for reading.

~Colette

6 comments:

  1. Your hair looks very pretty. You should have had a before picture. Don't be shy Colette, you have to show your face sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUCY - That actually is the before pic - my hair is naturally very coarse but I get it relaxed on a regular basis so it's pretty smooth even on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks so great naturally, jealous! I wish I could curl my hair with a straightener like you can, it would make traveling easier. But I have to have my curling wand!
    YSB Trading Inc.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...