Monday, June 29, 2009

Nails, Nails, More Nails, Mini-Review & Award

LOTS to cover. Probably because several of these things I meant to post over the weekend & just never got around to doing it!

I'll start out with my nails, since that's probably what you came here to see =) I kept it simple, no nail art, because this polish is pretty enough by itself. I can't quite decide if this is a duo-chrome or just super super shimmery; Nubar Gold Leaf:


Then, my friend's mani chipped, so there was nothing but to redo it. This time we used China Glaze QT, another great holo from the OMG Collection. Unfortunately the sun didn't show while she was around but here are the pics I did take:


I also did my toes over the weekend. From the Color Illusion Collection, this was a Big Lots find, Revlon Purple Twilight (excuse the sun pics ... pre-clean up but it was the only instant the sun was out):


OK, that brings us about halfway through this giant post! And all of the real manicure-related stuff out of the way.

Those of you who read my Mini-Review of the Revlon Runway Collection Fake Nails will probably recall that I pretty much dissed them all around. If you don't remember, well, click the link & go back to check it out =)

Given that I was less than enthusiastic and none too complimentary, I was pretty surprised when they contacted me to say they'd be sending me more free fake nails. Yay!... I guess?

I mean, free stuff is always good, but in this case I'm thinking Revlon is going by the old adage of there's no such thing as bad press. Even if I pan their product, you guys all still get to see it. So I'm going to do another mini-review, this time focusing more on the designs, but please Revlon reps if you're reading this: next time give me polish. Because I really have no love of your fake nails. They're kind of cute but tiny & short & not for me.

All of these are from the Runway Collection and I received in the medium length.

Sequins:


This is one of the designs that I received the first time, but I didn't really talk about what I thought of the pattern. This design is ... well just OK I guess. I'm not impressed, although they're better than just plain french in my opinion.

Starlet:


This is also one of the designs that I received the first time. I like this one a little better than the first but still not blown away.

Minx:


I really can't say that I like this combination for some reason. Either the squarish design OR the silver smile line alone I like, but not together

Stella:


Very neutral & I'd think work-appropriate even in a more conservative office. Just enough of a design that they don't feel plain.

Studio:

Cute but unremarkable except for the fact that it has silver tips instead of white.

Mystic:


This is my 2nd favorite design, I like non-traditional dark tips. But this has the downside (for me) that only some of the nails have rhinestones at the peak of the chevron - I counted, and of the 24 nails you get, only 8 have rhinestones =(

Sateen:


I think this one gets the most points for originality. It reminds me the most of a kind of konad-tip design, which I prefer most of the time over the simpler designs of just dots or lines. This one was my overall favorite design, but it did have one problem that the stripe of glitter is not applied very well on all nails (or else is already coming off before they've even been out of the box...). Maybe not noticeable to a normal person, but I'm used to really scrutinizing my mani.

That's all, although I felt like that was a ton! I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the box & was pleasantly surprised to see that they were so generous.

Finally, I got another award! And I kind of hate to stick it at the end of the post, and I don't have time to do it full justice & nominate other blogs for it like I'm supposed to, but I think saying thank you & getting it up here is better than it landing in "draft limbo" with other things on my to-do list...

Natalie over at Nani's Nails gave me the Uber Amazing Blog Award!


The rules for this awards are as follows:

1. Write five (5) interesting facts about the person who gave you this award.
2. Jot down ten (10) interesting facts about yourself or your hobbies.
3. Pick your ten (10) most deserving recipients and describe them.
4. Leave a comment on the recipients' blog to tell them they've been tagged
5. Paste the award badge in your side bar.

5 facts about Natalie who I got this award from:
  • She's a mom
  • She loves nails
  • She loves Konad
  • She just started her blog on June 4th
  • If you really like her blog you can follow her on Twitter =)

10 facts about me:

  • I've always loved my nails but blogging has really made me up my game
  • My next-favorite hobby is reading
  • I love to write LOL & I'm sure that probably comes across when I get to rambling
  • Music is super-important to me. Most of the time my job takes up a tiny fraction of my brainpower & if I didn't have an ipod I think I'd go crazy.
  • I like video games
  • A hobby I don't always have time for but enjoy is cross-stitch
  • Uhhh ... (reaching here) my cat's name is Frisky
  • My dog's name is Dude
  • And I don't know why it's so hard to come up with 10 things other than I feel put on the spot! And that's why I could never try out for Jeopardy, although do pretty good playing from home =)

OK, here's the part where I cheat out on the rest of the award rules ... I'm running out of time but as always I'll urge everyone to check out the blogroll to the right.

I think I just set a new record longest post! So, if you're still with me, LOL, thanks for reading =)

~Colette

4 comments:

  1. I love this post, your fake nail review has me cracking up. Your personality really shines through on this post so I stuck through until the end. lol
    You always find the coolest stuff at Big Lots, I really need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh also, not nail related but about a question about books. I dont know why I didnt put this in the original comments. Do you know any good books by James Patterson? Do you even read that author? Never had the desire to read any of his books until I heard about his new one coming out, Swimsuit. It sounds amazing.
    Have any suggestions for good books period?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colette! I always love your long posts. I read every word of everyone's blogs. I just don't look at pictures. Love the Nubar polish. They really impress me with their colors. Of course I love the holo you did on your friend. It's one of my favorites. I've never used false nails so I could'nt judge them. I do like the designs. Better than the plain ones. I like the last one the most. Congrats on the award. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADOREPINK - I haven't heard of that particular book from James Patterson, but I have read the Women's Murder Club series - check out my label drop down, I have a tag for all of my authors, including him.

    For other book suggestions, it depends what you're looking for - I usually read more fantasy/sci-fi than like James Patterson-type thrillers, but you can see everything I've read so far this year under "Book List (2009)"

    LUCY - I'd like to put together another Nubar order ... maybe for my birthday. Of course, there are lots of places to haul from for my birthday & I haven't decided where I'm actually going to splurge =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...