Friday, July 24, 2009

Books 39-44

#39
The Enchantment Emporium
Tanya Huff

Tanya Huff is one of my favorite authors (yes, I'm aware how often I say that LOL) & while she has a couple other series that I would have loved to see another book for, after reading this one now I'd like it to have a sequel =) At least in part because there are so many unanswered questions, or questions just partially answered.

#40
Undead And Unwelcome
Queen Betsy Book 8
MaryJanice Davidson

Betsy is, in answer to a long-spoken prophecy, Queen of the Vampires. Which is nowhere nearly as dramatic as it sounds, if I had to give this series a genre I think it would be something like comedic romance, because MaryJanice Davidson is an author who can literally make me laugh out loud ... which can draw some strange looks from non-readers I'll admit.

#41
8th Confession
Women's Murder Club Book 8
James Patterson & Maxine Paetro

I like being able to discuss these books with my friend, but she likes them quite a bit more than I do. Sometimes they're hard to fit in when I have other books that I really would prefer to be reading. I did squeeze this one in but I'll admit I'm kind of glad that there's not a release date for a 9th book LOL.

#42
Raven's Shadow
Patricia Briggs

I've been reading so much urban fantasy lately I thought I might have trouble getting into something like this that is more high fantasy, set in a created world rather than kind of just an altered version of our own reality, but Patricia Briggs sucked me right in within the first couple of pages.


#43
A Bone To Pick
Aurora Teagarden Book 2
Charlaine Harris

I kind of hate to say it, because I really like Charlaine Harris, but this book kind of bored me. Not that it wasn't a good book, as a mystery it was really good, but it was just so ... normal. No supernatural happenings at all, and for me to tolerate that, I guess I need more than a whodunit murder mystery.

#44
Kushiel's Dart
Kushiel's Legacy Book 1
Jacqueline Carey

I recommended this book to my friend, and when I picked it up for her & took a look "just to refresh my memory" I was 84 pages in before she even came to get it & had to go get another copy for myself & re-read this along with her. I think I originally read this 2 or maybe 3 years ago, and I wanted to re-read it eventually, but she gave me a good excuse. I was really nervous about her liking it, because it's beyond totally opposite of what she normally reads, but she got sucked right in & at this point has finished this first book & started the 2nd =) And at 700+ pages in the hardcover, this is a doorstopper of a novel, and it's not because the author can't shut up, it's because there really is that much story to tell.

And I'm still not caught up ... but I think this post is long enough for now LOL. Thanks for reading.

~Colette

4 comments:

  1. I love me some MJ - although her plots can get a bit thin she's always good for a laugh. Know what you mean about Aurora Teagarden - I can never get into that series like I can with Harris's Harper Connoly series or Sookie (though I've gone off Sookie books now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading Patricia Briggs' fantasy novels and got hooked. I've only read a few of them and need to get the rest (the library system only has her newer stuff). Huff is excellent too (can't wait to try her new book). I recommend her straight fantasy stuff, like the Quarters books (especially the 2 books about the brother & sister assasins).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won the 8th Confession from a blog, which I'm still waiting to get. The rest I have on my list to read. You have fantastic taste Colette. I finally thought to myself why not get the books out on CD. Since my girlfriends works at the library she got me out, New Moon. I'm sure everyone know who wrote that. I used to listen to books on tape when I worked at the Post Office. It saved me from going totally insane. I'll have to check to see if any of this list is on CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIXXY - I have the first Harper Connely book out from the library, but I haven't read it yet. I'm hoping I get some time before it is due LOL.

    AURORAGYPS - I'm lucky that the library does have some of Briggs older stuff, but very few copies & they all have long waitlists that I'm on. I loved the Quarters books, I think that was the first Tanya Huff series that I read =)

    LUCY - I hope you have good luck - I am always surprised by how many audiobooks my own library has - since I am set up for author alerts I get an email when they order books in other formats.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...