Sunday, January 31, 2010

2010 Booklist: 1-5

For 2010, 1 change I'll be making is trying to include a genre for everything I read. Overall I'd say I lean towards fantasy, but even within that there is urban fantasy, paranormal romance, epic fantasy ... you get the drift.  I'm not exactly off to a blazing start LOL, but I don't think I'm doing too badly either.

Catching Midnight#1
 Emma Holly
Fitz Patrick Chronicles Book 2
Historical Paranormal Romance

These vampires - well, upyr, to use the jargon of the world - are divided into warring factions:  those who disdain contact with humans & those who consider them legitimate prey.  The first book of this series was actually a short story from one of the anthologies that I read last year.

Hot Spell#2
Anthology
Urban & Historical Fantasy

This anthology featured short stories by:  Emma Holly, Lora Leigh, Shiloh Walker & Meljean Brook

The story by Meljean Brook was the first "book" of her Guardians series, and actually the reason I picked up this anthology, although the rest of the stories were good too.  The Emma Holly short I particularly enjoyed, I think I'm going to have to look into the rest of the series (as it's not the one listed above).

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)#3
Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson & the Olympians Book 4
Teen Fiction/Urban Fantasy

I said to my friend Sam when I finished reading it, that it reminded me of The Empire Strikes back, it's like the part where all the bad guys are getting the advantage, and things look so hopeless, and the final battle is yet to come & will have to be fought even if the odds are stacked so far out of balance the outcome seems a foregone conclusion.  Of course I don't really expect the bad guys to win LOL.  But I'll soon see what kind of a price the good guys have to pay for their victory, as I have the 5th book in my pile out from the library right now.

Divine Misdemeanors: A Novel (Meredith Gentry, Book 8)#4
Laurell K. Hamilton
Meredith Gentry Book 8
Paranormal Romance

This was a book I wasn't sure the author would write, because things were wrapped up so neatly at the end of book 7, but as it turns out that was only temporary.

(Couple of spoilers coming up if you have not read the first 7 books)

After killing her murderous, insane cousin, giving up the throne, & leaving faerie altogether, this whole book is set in the human realm, but there's still plenty going on, with Princess Meredith called in to help investigate a killer who is targeting the demi-fey of Los Angeles.  She's also got to keep what amounts to a court in exile of former gods in line, many of whom are regaining their old powers, and the attitudes to go along with them.

Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, Book 2)#5
Midnight's Daughter Book 2
Karen Chance
Urban Fantasy

Dorina Basarab is a dhampir (if you're not familiar with the term, think a daywalker like Blade, although that term has a different meaning in this particular world), and she kicks ass.  This is set in the same world as Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series, and the timelines of the 2 cross occassionally, which can be a little confusing, but overall is very well done.  I can't wait for a 3rd book in this series.  Karen Chance is also one of the author's in the current anthology I'm reading (Inked).

So, 5 books for January ... could have been worse I guess LOL?  But could have been much better also.  I'll try to improve going forward.  Thanks for reading about what I'm reading =)

~Colette

2 comments:

  1. Hmm! These look interesting! Thanks for sharing... I've been looking for some good books =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. KELEALAUREL - You're welcome =) I'm always looking for good books too, even though I can't keep up with the ones already on my list LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...