Sunday, May 16, 2010

Books 11-22

Sooo behind with books, both posting & reading.  So I'm going to get caught up with at least the posting part =)  But in the interest of doing so quickly, I'm going to keep my commentary mostly on the short side:

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance#11
Anthology
Paranormal Romance

This anthology featured short stories by:  C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp. Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong, Anya Bast, Meljean Brook, Rachel Caine, Alyssa Day, Lori Devoti, Jeaniene Frost, Lynda Hilburn, Allyson James, Dina James, Jean Johnson, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Holly Lisle, Sara Mackenzie, Cheyenne McCray, Catherin eMulvany, Mary Jo Putney, Michelle Rowen, Eve Silver, Maria V. Snyde, Carrie Vaughn, & Anna Windsor

Blood Magic (World of the Lupi, Book 6)#12
Eileen Wilks
World of the Lupi Book 6
Urban Fantasy

There were a couple of times I literally could not put this book down - I think I finished it in like 2 days, which used to be more normal for me but is super-quick compared to my pace lately.

Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18)#13
Laurell K. Hamilton
Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Book 18
Paranormal Romance/Thriller

Lots of zombies in this one, which is kind of nice, since the whole animator side of Anita's life sometimes gets put on the sidelines while she's dealing with killing things, rather than raising them from the dead LOL.  Kind of short, which was disappointing, but as the author explained in the afterword, this is really an "extra" book on the year - the inspiration for it interrupted her when she was writing the last book for her other series (Divine Misdemeanors if you're curious like me) and so she put out this book which at under 200 pages is more of a novella, in addition to the regularly-scheduled Anita book that will be out in June

Kushiel's Scion (Kushiel's Legacy)#14
Jacqueline Carey
Kushiel's Legacy, Book 4
Historical Paranormal

The first time I read this, I was really disappointed that the protagonist from the first 3 books was no longer narrating the story.  This time I think I actually enjoyed the book more, because I knew when I started that it was told from Imriel's point of view.

Moon Craving (A Children of the Moon Novel)#15
Lucy Monroe
Children of the Moon Book 2
Historical Paranormal Romance

Werewolves, as you might guess, this second book took a couple of minor characters from the first book & expanded on their story.

Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)#16
Patricia Briggs
Mercy Thompson Book 5
Urban Fantasy

Things seem to finally be settling down a little for Mercy, although I can't help but wonder what the vampires are up to since they didn't make an appearance in this book.

Demon Angel (The Guardians, Book 1)#17
Meljean Brook
Guardians Book 2
Paranormal Romance

Although this is technically the 2nd book of the series, this was actually the first full-length novel.

Master of Fire (Berkley Sensation)#18
Master of Fire
Angela Knight
Mageverse  Book 6
Paranormal Romance

Her last couple of books have been in other series, so it has been a while since the last book in this world & I hope it's not so long again because one of the characters disappears at the end & I'd really like to find out what happens next.

Wild Thing#19
Anthology
Paranormal Romance

This anthology featured short stories by:  Maggie Shayne, Marjorie M. Liu, Alyssa Day, & Meljean Brook

Serpent Moon (Tales of the Sazi)#20
C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp
Tales of the Sazi Book 8
Urban Fantasy

This book wrapped up a lot of loose ends that had been left in the earlier books, kind of bringing everything together for a conclusion, although I don't think it's the last book in this series.
Changes (Dresden Files, Book 12)#21
Jim Butcher
Dresden Files Book 12
Urban Fantasy

Damn right changes.  I know I have several readers who also read this series so I especially don't want to give any spoilers, but let me just say that while I was happy he managed to keep from killing off too many of my favorite characters, EVERYTHING else changes in this book.  And it's also the first one that ended on a genuine, heart in my throat cliffhanger.  A cliffhanger so worrisome let me just say I immediately went to the author's website to reassure myself that there would in fact be another book.  Which there will be - but there's no release date out there yet.  I want it like yesterday LOL, but I'm thinking more likely somewhere between October & December if I'm lucky, or sometime in 2011 if I'm not.

Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side#22
Anthology
Paranormal Mystery

This anothology featured short stories by:  Charlaine Harris, William Kent Krueger, Margaret Maron, Brendan Dubois, Harley Jane Kozak, S.W. Hubbard, Jeffrey Somers, Elaine Viets, Barbara D’Amato, Lou Kemp, Martin Meyers, Terrie Farley Moran, Jack Fredrickson, Steve Brewer, Mike Wiecek, Dana Cameron, Carolyn Hart, Max Allan Collins and Mickey Spillane, Parnell Hall, Toni L.P. Kelner

I actually really enjoyed this anthology, even though with so many authors the stories were extremely short.  Shorter than I'd prefer really.

So!  That's what I've been reading the past couple of months.  Not exactly on track for my goal this year of 100 ... maybe I'll read another 30 books by the end of June?  But I doubt it.  Apparently I'm busier than I used to be =)

Thanks for reading.

~Colette

3 comments:

  1. I love the first three of the Kushiel series!! So much research, care and thought went into creating that world. The 4th one was just ok though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything from the Kushiel's series is amazing. I own all of them thus far.

    And Angela Knight makes my smutty dreams come true! =p

    And omg, LKH. I like her Gentry series better than the Blake series though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. APRIL & LADY C - I'm currently on the 8th in Kushiel series that just came out, and I just got my mom started on the first book =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...